HISTORY OF RURAL HALL FIRE DEPARTMENT
Rural Hall's First Fire Truck
Refurbished in late 2008
RHFD Established 1939
In 1941 the first fire truck was purchased at a cost of $500.00, plus a cost of $25.00 to paint truck Fire Engine Red. The truck was equipped with ladders, lanterns, extinguishers and hoses.
The most active members in those early years were Carl Baker, the first fire chief, Hoover Baker, Bill Beck, Paul Beck, W.C. Buck, N.O. Covington, W.D. Craft, H.A. Felts, Roger Hauser, Earl Kiger, O.L. Kiger, Rufus Kiger, Elbert Nance, James Ogburn, A.L. Payne, Jr. Milton Payne, W.P. Plunkett, Sr., Trubert Shelton, Dewey Shropshire, O.S. Smith, Tom Spainhour, Vernon Stanley, L.E. Stauber, Sr., Blake Terry, W.G. Tuttle, Oscar Washington, V.A. Wilson, and Lee Young.
A one-ton truck was added in 1948. Built mainly by C.M. Baker, it carried 150 gallons of water and was equipped with a pump which could dispense 350 gallons of water per minute from a hydrant or from other sources. Although the equipment was jerry-rigged to a great extent, the firemen were able to make great use of it.
The department got a home in 1949. A two-story building near Rural Hall School gave the department a place where the water-laden trucks would not freeze during cold weather day and night. In the upstairs area were room for meeting and an office for the water department.
The fire marshal system was established in Forsyth County in 1955, and the Rural Hall Fire and Rescue Department enthusiastically joined in. The system provided a better organized means of providing fire protection throughout the county. Citizens and businesses also benefited from reduced fire insurance rates. At this time a water wagon, the "Little Yadkin" was added.
This article was written in 1977, and was copyrighted by the Rural Hall Woman's Club